Life with Churry.

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

The Sad Avocado

I'm not sure if avocado is an acquired taste or just something only adults can like. I clearly remember being grossed out by the avocado in my mom's salads. But the unavoidable happens. I fell deeper and deeper in love with California AND I'm getting older and older. Nowadays, it's hard to hide my love for avocados. No comments about my age please.

The saddest thing is when avocado products turn black. It is such a waste! Imagine all the children who don't have enough to eat! And here we are, forced to throw out yummy avocados because of some pesky oxygen. As luck would have it, I found out why avocados turn black-separation anxiety.

For Diversity Day, Jose and Vicky manned the Mexican booth all night because Agustin, the only other Mexican student, was a bartender for the night. Vicky made some awesome guacamole, and I hung out there after making my rounds and getting all the stickers. It was a small shocker when my chip hit a hard object in the guacamole. Geological discoveries are cool and all, but a brown object in my, um, our food? That is not cool, man.

Trying hard to keep myself composed, I pointed and asked as gently as I could, "What's that!" Jose and Vicky, who apparently have encountered worse reactions before, answered matter-of-factly, "It's the avocado pit. It keeps the guacamole from turning black."

*whew* The dangers I brave for good food.

So there it is. If you have to peel away the avocado meat from the pit, at least let them stay together after you process the meat. Keep your avocado happy, and it will stay green.

No comments: