Life with Churry.

Thursday, January 11, 2007

Street Smarts

I was walking down M Street going faster than the bus when the light changed at Wisconsin. I decided to utilize my time by checking out what's going on outside of my bubble. So on this fateful day, I discovered a cardboard box sitting in the fast lane.

The box was in such great shape that I had to wonder if someone actually left it sitting there. It certainly couldn't have fallen off a truck without getting a single dent. Maybe it was empty so that it kind of flew around like a plastic bag a la American Beauty and landed softly in the middle of the street. I briefly wondered if it contained explosives.

I didn't have to wait long to find out. When the light turned green, a van sped through the intersection. The driver must have thought the box was empty since he drove directly over it. Cardboard, glass, and liquid splattered all over the road, leaving intact one standing six-pack and a couple of rolling bottles of beer. Looked like imported beer, too.

Before I had time to figure out if I know anyone who would want free beer of unknown origin, one of the area's resident homeless man stalked straight into traffic and picked up all the full bottles.

No comments: