Life with Churry.

Monday, January 15, 2007

What's Your Claim to Fame?

I woke up early today and thought I'd try to post something on the blog. I had several topics in my head, but it was hard to decide which one to write about when there were RSS feeds to read. I wasn't sure how I wanted to expand on my favorite This I Believe essay, and I didn't have a picture of the two (yes, two!) pay phones we saw on the sidewalk near MacPherson Square. They looked brand new, too.

After about 4 hours of procrastinating, Shahed IM-ed me to tell me he will be on a panel about "Blogging where the Speech isn't Free" at this year's SXSW conference. Turns out he was a front page story of the Austin-American Statesman recently (You can get a password from Bug Me Not.) for starting alt.muslim. The site gets 7,000 visitors every day and 25 million page views a year. Talk about giving back to your community.

Now it felt reassuring when I read in The Tipping Point about connectors knowing a lot of people but not knowing them well. But the connecting only works when I know these amazing things so I can tell people. The challenge is how you promote yourself without bragging. That is an art.

No comments: